Are you ready to fire up the grill? This sauce is full of flavor without all the added sugar. It is so good, it will have you licking your fingers! It can be used as a marinade before you grill or bake in the oven.
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 13½ oz. canned whole tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. salt
- Slowly heat the oil in a heavy saucepan. Stir in the tomato paste. Add the onion and fry until soft and glossy over medium heat.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of water and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Grind the spices and add them to the saucepan together with the tomatoes and the vinegar. Add salt.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat and let simmer for another 15-20 minutes. Mix, using an immersion blender, until smooth and let cool. If you want a thicker sauce let it simmer longer until it reaches the desired consistency.